Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ:
During the past six months, Council has been making decisions based on the changing guidelines from the State of Michigan, the CDC, various denominational judicatories and feedback we received from you through our congregational surveys. We are striving to safely meet the needs of all congregants. After careful deliberation during the September Council Meeting, the following decisions have been made:
- In-person worship services be held through the month of October at 9 a.m. on Sunday mornings.
- While there will not be a reservation system employed, each person attending will need to check in at the door, sign a participant form, wear a mask while in the building (including the service) and observe social distancing protocols.
- We will continue streaming worship online for those who elect not to participate in the In-Person service.
- Our streaming schedule for Bible Study, the Healing Service, and the Thursday Reflection remain unchanged.
- The church building will remain closed to all outside groups for the month.
- Pastor Travis will continue to hold office hours 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday – Friday.
- Office hours will be by appointment only or can be through a video chat.
- Please plan to wear a mask if you come to the building.
- Peace groups will be permitted to meet on a case by case basis with approval from the Church Council. Each group meeting is expected to:
- Wear masks at all times within the building.
- Maintain the proper social distancing (currently 6 feet).
- Understand that no food is permitted before, during, or after the event.
The members of Council feel a comprehensive and conservative approach to re-opening is in the best interest of all. More details about the In-Person service are forth-coming. The Task Force and Council will meet mid-October to assess procedures in place. At this time, the Annual Meeting is scheduled to take place on Sunday, November 22. Many details and options are currently being discussed.
In other news for September:
-The organ is still at Wicks Organ LLC in Highland, IL for the needed repairs.
-We are in the final stages of the hiring process for Coordinator of Congregational Engagement which will replace the Parish Administrator role. We hope to introduce our new staff member soon.
– The plan to fill the Choir Director and Organist positions will not be implemented until 2021. In the interim, Austin McWilliams, will provide electronic, pre-recorded music for our services.
-Due to the resignation of the Sexton, a cleaning service has been contracted for the next six months while Council determines the most appropriate staffing necessary to clean and maintain the building.
-Call for nominations for Church Council, Auditing Committee, Mission Endowment Fund, and Synod Assembly Voting Members will be accepted until October 9. Please call the Church Office if you are interested in serving.
We continue to be grateful for your financial giving to the life of the congregation. Please continue your prayerful and financial support as you are able. Our primary goal continues to be to reflect God’s light through love and service. We hope to increase to offer more interactive educational experiences and provide a platform for small groups to meet during the coming weeks.
Gratefully being the distributed church with you,
The Rev. Travis W. Wilson
Dr. Debra Berkey